- About Us
- Industry Sectors
- Issues & Initiatives
- Legislative & Regulatory Affairs
- News & Events
Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, founded in 1923, is a trade association exclusively representing all sectors of the oil and gas industry operating in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico.
LMOGA serves exploration and production, refining, transportation, marketing and mid-stream companies as well as other firms in the fields of law, engineering, environment, financing and government relations.
LMOGA’s mission is to promote and represent the oil and gas industry operating in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico by extending representation of our members to the Louisiana Legislature, state and federal regulatory agencies, the Louisiana congressional delegation, the media and the general public.
History of LMOGA
On October 13, 1917, shortly after the United States entry into World War I, a group of independent oil men met in Tulsa, Okla., to organize the Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association. One of the primary reasons behind the establishment of the association was to provide essential supplies of petroleum and petroleum products to the armed forces of the U.S. and its allies.
In 1919, the association was reorganized into a federation. Under the new plan the General Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, which eventually became the National Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, was created and assigned control and supervision of the activities that were general in nature and of national importance. Subsequently, two local divisions were created. The first, the Kansas-Oklahoma division, was headquartered in Tulsa, Okla., and the second, the Texas-Louisiana division, headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
In December 1922, members of the association located in Arkansas and Louisiana petitioned to form the new Louisiana-Arkansas division to be located in Shreveport, La. Then, in the early 1950s, the offices were moved to Baton Rouge. The association was housed in three different locations before moving to 801 North Boulevard in 1991 where it remained for 18 years. In April of 2009, the association moved to its current location the, “Old Standard Oil House,” at 730 North Boulevard.
In 1971 the Louisiana-Arkansas Division merged with the Louisiana Petroleum Council. Soon after, it was decided that separate organizations were needed in Louisiana and Arkansas. The Arkansas Petroleum Council took over Mid-Continent functions in Arkansas, leaving the surviving Mid-Continent division to serve Louisiana.
On September 12, 1973, the organization’s name was changed to Louisiana Division of Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association. Over time, the association became known as Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association.